how you can use social media to your professional advantage during your internship
We love to Share
In a world of Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok, it seems the world is obsessed with recording every detail of our lives and sharing it with anyone who is willing to scroll and ‘Like’.
But have you ever thought about using social media to your advantage professionally?
Utilizing these mediums to capture your internship experience can also help you to engage with your colleagues, promote the company brand and even prove to future hiring managers that what you have on your resume is actually true! So, what is the best way to capture your internship experience and what should you avoid?
Here are some of the Do’s and Don’ts when it comes to capturing your internship experience…
What you should do
1. Politely request the permission of any supervisors or colleagues before you take a picture. There is nothing worse than someone taking a sneaky photo of you and you not knowing what they’re going to do with it!
2. Make sure you’re in the photos and you’re smiling!
3. Try and capture the company brand or logo in the picture and make sure you’re dressed professionally (again you must ask if it’s appropriate for you to do so)
4. Upload your photo and maybe even a brief article about your experience and what the company is trying to achieve
5. Tag or Hashtag the company if you’re posting on any social media sites
6. Send your images to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief description of the photo and your host company
Things to Avoid
1. Don’t capture any IP or data that may not be adhering to privacy policies
2. Don’t post anything negative about the business or staff on any social media sites
3. Only post items that you have permission fromyour host company to share
4. Make sure you are following the company’s social media policies at all times. If you aren’t sure what your host company’s policy is, ask! If the company doesn’t have one, maybe you could offer to write one? (Hint: this could earn you brownie points with your supervisor!)
If you have any questions...
The Outcome.Life team are always here to answer any questions or help with any problems you might encounter during your internship.
You can contact us between 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday at: